Completing Our House on a Hill Project
At the end of the day, there’s nothing quite like the feeling of relaxing in your home as you reflect on a job well done. We’re enjoying that feeling after completing the House on a Hill backyard renovation project. We’ve enhanced this backyard by adding in:
- A Cascading 8′ LED Waterfall and River
- Two Electronically Ignited Fire Bowls by Top Fires
- iPhone & Android controlled Automation System by Easytouch
- Waterproof sealed Arizona Flagstone Deck
The end result is a stunning outdoor entertainment area where the homeowners can unwind and enjoy quality time with their family and friends.
The House of a Hill project was a memorable experience for our team. It was Advocate Construction’s first swimming pool renovation and the perfect space to showcase the talent of our our Advocate Foundation Division.
Side note, we talk about foundations a lot around here. In North Central TX its paramount that you ensure the foundation of your home is sound and stable. Advocate Foundation Services can improve an existing foundation or create a new one that’s capable of supporting your home and protecting your personal investments in it.
Our Starting Point
On this project, we started with an expansive space, Arizona flagstone deck (which we matched for our renovations) and a swimming pool with adjacent water fountain. Believe it or not, the water fountain actually had the original glass tile that was installed during the 1960’s – that’s pretty amazing!
Our job was to add multiple levels of decking, including a creative water feature with smart controls. Our client also desired to introduce some creative elements, such as fire bowls & LED lighting effects for our fountains. They desired to create an enchanting ambiance through the entire backyard area. Now, it’s safe to say it only gets more beautiful once the sun goes down!
Our Stages of Renovation
The renovation occurred in several stages, including:
- First, we removed existing decking to create space for the new water feature.
- We then installed foundation piers to raise the deck, making it easier to reach internal components and service the fountain in the future.
- With the foundation securely in place, we started constructing the river and water fountain, using mosaic tile on the walls and floor.
- Next we hunted for Arizona flagstone that matched our original product identically – trust us, we go to great lengths for our clients.
- We then applied our Stone Armor to seal the deck and protect it from moisture damage.
- Lastly, we ran installed our electrical components including: a new Automation system and programmed it from a wireless handheld device
Our Electrical Systems
On top of these renovation stages, we sourced some pretty amazing electrical components that enhanced the beauty of this backyard.
For example, our Fire Bowls contain an electronic ignition that allows us to turn them on and off with our Easytouch Wireless Controller. Secondly, our custom Sheer Descent (a.k.a. waterfall) & LED Lights can be synchronized to create amazing light shows to entertain both guest and family.
These details add a distinctive beauty to the area, so we want to share them with anyone considering backyard renovations because they work well in both large and small backyard designs.
Project Highlights: Water and Fire Elements
The striking combination of water and fire tied together make this area more intimate. We installed Maya Fire Bowls from Top Fires to flank the water fountain closest to the house, making it one of the first sights guests see when they step outside. These hand-made bowls have a tapered shape that gives the flame plenty of space to shine in the night and provide just the right amount of warmth when the temperature dips. The copper patina finish has a worn look that complements the stone floor, but the bowls also come in an assortment of natural hues ranging from pale limestone to warm vanilla and contemporary ash.
We chose a spillway from Atlantic Water Gardens to create the waterfalls. Their sheer descent systems offer several configuration options that make it easy to customize features like water flow and color selection. It fits seamlessly on a variety of surfaces, including brick, stone, and tile and produces a solid sheet of water that holds up against wind resistance. We can install this water feature in an existing pool or construct a new reservoir so you can enjoy the soothing sounds of water as you relax in the evening. Best of all, you can control everything with the push of a button through the Pentair wireless remote control system. The system is compatible with iPhone and Android smartphones and tablets as well as PC and Mac computers.
Natural Elements in a Natural Setting
Throughout history, civilizations have incorporated water and fire features in architecture and design. It’s an easy way to create a stunning oasis and bring natural elements into a structure. You can add waterfalls to nearly any pool or outdoor structure and it’s a great way to enhance that natural look! Therefore, if you don’t have space for a pool or don’t want to deal with maintaining one, there are plenty of water feature ideas for patios that you can incorporate in your backyard design.
Fire elements contrast beautifully with water features, adding drama and warmth. Short columns topped with fire bowls are a popular way to decorate the perimeter of the pool. Alternatively, you can use a fire bowl to anchor a seating area or install a fire/water combination feature that pairs dancing flames with a waterfall. Choose clean burning natural gas or propane powered fire features to avoid filling the yard with excessive amounts of smoke that may irritate your eyes and lungs.
Additional benefits of these features include:
- Natural ambient light that emanates from the fire
- Gentle reflections of light in the water and windows
- Soothing sounds of cascading water help you relax and mask noise from neighbors
- Increased sense of privacy
- Increased home value
- Subtle divisions on the patio that create small gathering spots or cozy hideaways
Backyard Renovations by Advocate Construction
Advocate Construction Services can turn your vision in a reality and transform your backyard into an inviting oasis for entertainment and relaxation. We are a full-service construction company capable of overseeing your project from start to finish whether you’re starting from scratch, need to repair damaged or aging structures, or want to spruce up an existing outdoor area that’s begging for an update.
Let us show you the Advocate difference. Your vision is our mission, and we don’t leave until you’re satisfied with the job. We also offer guarantees on our work, but we’re confident you won’t need to use them because we choose our vendors carefully and use only the highest quality products.
Call us today to learn more about how we can transform your backyard and ask to see backyard before and after pictures of some of our work. There’s never a charge for a consultation or an estimate, and we love sharing our wealth of construction knowledge and design ideas with our clients.
Check Out Our Other Job Articles!
- The House on a Hill Project – Applying Stone Armor to Seal the Deck
- The House on a Hill Project – Creating a Whole New Pool Deck!
- 1 Day Coatings: Our Pool Deck Coating Options
- The Lake Bend Project – New Home Construction
- The Avondale Job – Complete Fire Restoration on a Centennial Home
- The Stone Wall Residential Home – Phase #1: Demolition